Collagen fibers create the skeleton for elastin and hyaluronic acid in our skin. These two, responsible for the skin elasticity, plumpness, and hydration.
As we age, it’s natural for the body’s ability to replenish collagen to start to decline. This is primarily influenced by genetics, hormonal changes, and ethnicity. External factors like UV radiation from sun exposure, smoking, pollution, stress, alcohol use, also influence collagen production over time. All these manifests as wrinkling, thinning and Cellulite on skin and instability in joints and ligaments.
There is good news though. Science has shown us that it is possible to rejuvenate aging skin, reverse and slow down the process of aging. There are therapies aimed at improving the skin’s ability to produce more collagen, increase the amount in the body, or prevent the environmental damage to the body’s collagen. These are key in the management of the aging process and these therapies bestow youthfulness and glow.
We will address care of the aging skin under 2 broad categories.
- Protein-rich foods as well as Foods rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, zinc and copper. Beef, chicken, eggs, dairy products, fish and beans are rich in protein.
- Supplements have not been FDA approved for collagen replenishment; however, numerous studies have been done to back up the efficiency of collagen supplements in helping improve the elasticity and appearance of your skin.
- Battling bad habits like quitting smoking, avoiding prolonged sun exposure, avoiding excessive alcohol ingestion and use of sunscreen with SPF 30 All greeter have all been shown to reduce the rapid collagen degradation and the body.
- Keeping the skin hydrated by drinking enough fluids, and good home skin care regimen.
Medical or in office care. There have been medical esthetic procedures and that have been known to stimulate collagen production.
- use of micro needling either alone or with platelet reach plasma and/ or radio frequency. These stimulate collagen induction by creating small superficial wounds causing the body to produce high levels of collagen to heal those wounds. SKIN PEN; MORPHEUS 8
- Use of heat therapy from laser Stimulate collagen rejuvenation by heating under the skin. LASER GENESIS
- Use of dermal fillers; these not only provide instant support to wrinkled and sagging skin but also stimulates your body’s natural collagen production to correct aging and facial volume loss
In summary it is very possible for us to slow down the external appearance of the aging process. This however begins internally. Any external treatments provided will need to be protected and prolonged by changing our habits. The different medical aesthetics procedure can be tailored to fit you based on your needs, skin type and other factors. Having an experienced physician will help guide you to what treatment is appropriate for your situation.